Thursday, April 2, 2009

It will never, ever leave you

If you know me (or my father) you probably know that I spent the beginning of my life on a lovely island off the coast of Southern California called Santa Catalina. While I am hesitant to claim Islander status (I moved off when I was 7, but spent every summer of my life there until I was 16) I feel VERY strong ties to the place, seeing as my father was born there, my uncles still live there, and my fondest childhood memories all take place there.

Anyway, for several summers I worked for a Tour Agency selling tickets and occasionally giving undersea tours (the kelp! the garibaldi! the opal-eyed bass!) Today, I came home from a long day of work, switched on my favorite television show (Germany's Next Top Model) and realize instantaneously that they are doing the standard under-water photo shoot that they do in EVERY season.

"Hmmm" I said to myself (literally, out loud) "that looks strikingly similar to the giant kelp that grows off the coast of Catalina" (ok, I didn't say that out loud, but I thought it)


But I know damned well that that kelp grows all around California, and why would my favorite German TV show go to my favorite spot 26 Miles across the sea?

But indeed, they are there! And I am so excited!

and a little bit homesick

No comments: