Friday, April 16, 2010

I don't know
I don't know
I don't know where I'm gonna go
when the volcano blows
-Jimmy Buffett


Photo Credit: Árni Sæberg, Icelandic Coast Guard

A mere week ago I was blasting these wise words of my main man Jimmy, relishing one of the few springy days we've had in Switzerland and dreaming of the fabulous spring and summer awaiting me in what was then only three weeks!

Now I'm not one to cause a fuss, but this volcano thing has got me thinking uncharacteristically apocalyptic thoughts.

What if it goes on for 14 months, like it did almost 200 years ago?
Will we see a resurgence of freight-liners?
(this recalls images of the Titanic: opulence, good. but that death and destruction thing...)
What if the glacier next door melts?

and, you know, most importantly, when am I going to get to New York?

let's see how this pans out. Until then I think I will make myself a bloody mary and listen to more Jimmy. hypothetically that's how I would ride out the end of the world anyway, so why not rehearse?

No comments: