Friday, November 27, 2009

it's beginning to taste a lot like Christmas

tonight my good friend Lauren is hosting a make-up Thanksgiving for those of us here in Switzerland who couldn't really justify doing anything all too big yesterday. I myself only went as far as explaining the lovely sugary story of Thankgiving to Tarik (who responded "that's a nice story, I just don't really like that those people didn't like the King. I think you should like everyone"... sweet. We then got into a huge discussion on fairness, which is a concept my poor little six year old "brother" doesn't quite understand yet.) and making corn soup. Tarik got in a really thankful mood and started talking about all of the things he is thankful for... the kid has depth, but my personal highlight was "Cheryl, thank you for cooking great dinners every night. You're a good cooker, but sometimes I just don't like the food"

Which in a strange way filled me with a lot of Thanksgiving joy.

Anyway, tonight is the big blowout at Lauren's and she has been fastidiously busting her ass all week to make what I am sure will be spectacular. I felt like I should contribute something though, and felt really inspired by this recipe for sweet potato tarte tatin.

Sweet potatoes? Puff pastry? New Orleans? Sold.

I made a few little tweaks, like infusing ginger into the caramel and sprinkling a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg onto the sweet potatoes.

I popped it into the oven about 25 minutes ago, and it smells divine in here. Which is a phenomenon I hope to hold onto until after Christmas!

There are a ton of recipes I want to try, including one for gingersnaps, grape pie, and chewy chocolate cookies. and then there is the absolutely epic Lebkuchen that I will be reprising from last year. pictures and whatnot to follow.

T minus 24 days until I am stateside!

No comments: