Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hamburg meine Perle

Man oh man,

I really love Hamburg.

This weekend has really made me glad to be alive, particularly in this lovely city. I slept in late and woke up to gorgeous weather. I walked down to Steffi's cafe (right around the corner- how very New York), and the street had been blocked off for a flea market. So I perused a while, ate a piece of apple cake, ordered myself a Tiger Town tea and read my book for a while. (Side note- I fell in love with Salman Rushdie back in April. In May I bought Midnight's Children. In July I started reading it. and I am still only on page 216. but I am thoroughly enjoying it) Then I was joined by my friend Dinah, and we chatted like a couple of old ladies for three hours (I had intended on staying an hour, tops) It was positively charming. 

After a quick change of clothes and dinner we went back to the cafe for a reading, which was really a hilarious look at the Bild Zeitung (did you know that a few Russian fisherman "caught" an alien, thought it was a new species of fish and ate it? Apparently it was very tender and tasted "not quite like turkey") We were treated to a few vodka shots by Steffi's potential future husband (read: hot guy who lives above the cafe) and then came home for a few glasses of wine and champagne. 

Then we went to a birthday party where there were a lot of nice, generous people, and we decided to head down to the Reeperbahn for some further celebration. After a lot of "Mexikaners" and dancing (and dancing with Mexikaners, or, well, Argentinians) we finally made it to the Fischmarkt.

and that's how I fell in love. the Fischmarkt is the coolest market I have ever been to. It is very lively, has an interesting mix of people, and heavily features fish. Lordy knows there is nothing better than pickled fish and onions while watching the sun come up over the industrial harbor. oowie.

So, I am happy.

and there is only one week left of Celta! and I am applying for jobs!

Life is happening.   

1 comment:

Jane said...

this is what you get for putting a link to your blog up, ha! can I put you under friends on mine?

What I really wanted to comment on is Salman Rushdie. I picked up one of his books about a month ago and have not cracked it. My dad (who I hear you briefly chatted with) told me about how he was married to Padma, crazy! If(When)I become a great chef and get on the show that is all I would want to talk to her about. <3